Skip to main content

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2016 - 10KM Race

ABBEY: This is the last challenge we setup for ourselves this year; to join the 10-km run of Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore. It was held last December 4. I was told by my brother-in-law to train for endurance as I need to finish the race. And since this is my first time, finishing the run fast is less priority. But my goal is to finish it within two-hour mark. 

Race day came and it took off at Esplanade Bridge by 7:25AM. Even before we start, some of the full marathon runners already finished the race. We were able to reach the first kilometer by running but Wilma got pain in upper-right part of her abdomen. We walked while she applied muscle rub. After another kilometer, we're able to race again. At the third kilometer, I jokingly told Wilma that I'm already questioning my existence and why I'm running instead of lying down in bed on a Sunday. Haha. 

We reached a drinking "pit stop" to stay hydrated. We enjoyed the sights as we run; like the Singapore Flyer, Marina Bay Sands, and F1 Pit Building. It is very rewarding to finish the race itself and a bonus for receiving the medal. We both finished the race the same time and within the two-hour mark. Another item done from our list of targets for 2016.




WILL: This 2016, to cap off the year, we need to one more thing to tick off all our to-do list. Join a 10KM marathon!!! 

This is an extra challenge for me. Really! Why? I have a problem with my lungs. Since birth. Hahaha! So this is competition not against the time of the other people but a battle against my whole being. 

4am, we are up already. Arrived at Capitol Piazza minutes before 5pm and warmed up our muscles from there. Our wave, starts at 7:25. Gosh! It is too late. 

So when the loud horn was heard, we started to jog on our way. Approaching the first 300m, my right side part just below my lungs began to hurt. It is too painful that I immediately halt my jog and began my walking pace. It is an excruciating pain. This is not my first to experience that, I felt that on my practice ran months ago and I usually go home and rest. I do not stretch myself too on that time. But this is the real thing. It is now or never. So I decided to go on. Its me against me. My brain against my body. 

Motivated to finish the race, every time I see on the gutter a person holding a Active Muscle Rub tube, I always ask for a pinch and rubbed and pressed it hardly on the painful side. I do remember that until 5km, I am still on the lookout for people giving out those rubs. Haha. 

When I see the banner welcoming me on my 6th, 7th..8th. I am congratulating myself. On the 9th mark, Abbey tapping me on my shoulder and we fist bumped on our our 9.5 mark. Gosh! On last turn, there is with a camera that applauding the soon-to-finishers. 

Few steps at the mark, Abbey held my hand and we stand side by side to get the same time at the 10th and final checkpoint. 

Whew! I have done it. I know Abbey can finish earlier than that time but he is a very supportive husband. Waaa! I want to cry! 

Thanks to my eldest brother Kuya Ric. He is a professional marathoner. My parents are very proud of him. I am so jealous of his trophies and golden medals. Do you know his best time for 10KM is only 39mins... Winner right? 

Thanks Abbey and Kuya Ric for pushing me to my death. Hahaha! Joke! This is a memorable experience indeed!



***
Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2016 - 10KM Race

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

🇨🇭Läderach, Lindt or Cailler? Which is the Best Chocolate Museum in Switzerland?

ABBEY: I am a BIG fan of chocolate. And there’s no way we’ll be missing the chocolate factories when we go to Switzerland. Upon landing in Zurich, we dropped our luggages at the hotel and off we go to our first order of “business”: go to House of Läderach at Bilten. The train staff even told us that it’s far and we should go to Lindt instead. Little did he know that we will go there as well. House of Läderach is not that much crowdy and we liked it. We explore the museum how the chocolate was made. We had a sensory experience where we got a chance to taste their chocolate while watching a video that explains how to spot fresh chocolates. Upon seeing their molds, process, and their story we were led to four fountains. Yes, they are all chocolate; milk, dark, white, and blonde. We also experienced to be a chocolatier even for a while. I made my own bar with pistachios and pine nuts and completed it with a ribbon. And while in queue at the cashier we were given samples of liqueur chocola...

Duo Deluxe Golden Village - Paya Lebar Laser-projected Movie Hall

ABBEY: Golden Village Paya Lebar boasts its laser projection system and its spacious twin leather seats. So we went ahead and watch Justice League on a weekend.  Only the food and drinks bought in the cinema will be allowed.  I thought the seats are able to recline but its not. The space between the other twins are not that apart. I can still feel the feet or maybe the knee of the person behind me.  When it comes to the projection I don’t find any difference with other cinema. Maybe I’m not just keen into that technology. Duo Deluxe Golden Village - SEAT  Duo Deluxe Golden Village - TICKET PRICE Duo Deluxe Golden Village -  WILL:  We are not that bored to the old seat or lazy boys kind of cinemas, we just want to explore new things to serve our readers. So here, we went to the first laser cinema of Golden Village at Singapore Post (Paya Lebar).  This Duo Deluxe is one of the latest offering of GV! It has leather seat...

Shaw Theatres premiere Review: Is This Premium Cinema Worth It?

ABBEY:  Recently, we finally got to experience the newly renovated Shaw Theatres Lido along Orchard Road just in time for The Devil Wears Prada 2 hitting the silver screen. From the moment we stepped in, it was clear that Shaw has elevated the cinema experience into something far more premium and comfortable for moviegoers in Singapore. One of the first things you will notice is the impressive selection of food and beverage options available. Guests are spoiled for choice with concepts like Centro, Espresso and Matcha Bar , and even a Cocktail Bar, making it feel more like an upscale lounge than a traditional cinema. If you are planning a date night or weekend movie experience, the value is surprisingly decent too. A SGD90 package already includes a pair of Lido Premiere tickets along with two SGD15 F&B credits. The service also stood out during our visit. An usher personally welcomed us and guided us to our leather recliner seats while explaining how the in-seat servi...