Skip to main content

This $9 Bulalo Shamed Every Overpriced Filipino Restaurant in Singapore

ABBEY: After a refreshing stroll along the scenic Mandai Boardwalk, we decided to reward ourselves with a hearty Filipino meal at Lechon Pinoy in Jem Mall. It took just a couple of minutes to get a table, and trust me—it was absolutely worth the wait!


We indulged in some of our all-time favorites: bulalo (beef marrow soup), pork barbecue, and of course, their signature lechon (roast pork). Each dish brought a taste of home and didn’t disappoint.


The bulalo was rich and flavorful, with tender beef shanks and bone marrow that simply melted off the bone. The pork barbecue had that perfect smoky sweetness, just like the ones sold at street stalls back in the Philippines, and paired beautifully with the tangy “sabaw” (broth) of their sinigang.


And the star of the show? The lechon! With its crispy skin and juicy, tender meat, it was so irresistible that we ended up ordering an extra serving to take home. To top it off, the staff even gave us an additional portion as a bonus- such a thoughtful gesture!


    

This $9 Bulalo Shamed Every Overpriced Filipino Restaurant in Singapore
Lechon Pinoy SG

This $9 Bulalo Shamed Every Overpriced Filipino Restaurant in Singapore
This $9 Bulalo Shamed Every Overpriced Filipino Restaurant in Singapore



WILL:  Let me be brutally honest—I rarely eat Filipino food in restaurants. Not because I don’t love it (I do!), but because:

1. Abbey cooks it better at home, and

2. Let’s face it—most Pinoy dishes in Singapore are ridiculously overpriced.


So when I crave something like Bulalo, I brace myself for a tiny portion, bland broth, and a hefty bill. But this time, I was pleasantly surprised.


After our nature walk at Mandai Boardwalk, I was craving soup. Bulalo, specifically. Comforting. Savory. Homey.


We headed straight to Lechon Pinoy at JEM, and I immediately saw Bulalo with rice on their menu—SGD 9.25 / pax. Sounds reasonable, but I thought: “Baka puro soup lang talaga to ah, no meat.” So I ordered a few sticks of BBQ as backup.


What came to our table shocked me—in the best way. 😲

✅ Tender, fall-off-the-bone beef

✅ Deep, savory broth

✅ Generous portion (more than enough for me and Abbey!)


This wasn’t the usual “sabaw lang” disaster.

It was comfort in a bowl—legit, sulit na sulit.


And the Pork BBQ? Flavor? On point.

Well-marinated, smoky, sweet—but yes, I do wish the meat were a bit bigger for the price. Still, it was a great combo with the soup.


My Chismosa Moment. Haha. Okay, I eavesdropped a little. A group of Pinoys at the next table were saying. “Mas masarap dito kaysa sa Lucky Plaza ah!”


I know, chismosa ako 😅 but they had a point.

This tasted more authentic, more generous, and honestly—more affordable than what we’ve had in other Filipino restos.


We couldn’t leave without trying their lechon. So we it takeaway. Wink!  And wow—it was another hit. Crispy skin, tender meat, not overly salty. Perfect for a simple feast with a wine at home. 


Final Thoughts

✅ Affordable Filipino food

✅ Big portions

✅ Authentic taste

✅ No “daylight robbery” feeling


Lechon Pinoy at JEM surprised us—in the best way. We’ll definitely be back. Maybe next time we’ll check out their Orchard branch.



***

Lechon Pinoy – JEM Food Court

(W) https://lechonpinoy.oddle.me/en_SG/

(A) 50 Jurong Gateway Rd, #05-01 (Stall MR9), Singapore 608549 




SAVE MONEY ON YOUR TRAVEL HERE!!!
Expedia Booking.com, Hostelworld: Your one-stop-shop for hotel and hostel bookings. Find your perfect home away from home with Expedia's extensive listings.


KKDAY: Not Just for Attractions. KKDAY offers excellent options for accommodations. Explore and book with confidence.


GetYourGuide: Don't just visit your destination — experience it. Book your activities with GetYourGuide!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

🇨🇭Läderach, Lindt or Cailler? Which is the Best Chocolate Museum in Switzerland?

ABBEY: I am a BIG fan of chocolate. And there’s no way we’ll be missing the chocolate factories when we go to Switzerland. Upon landing in Zurich, we dropped our luggages at the hotel and off we go to our first order of “business”: go to House of Läderach at Bilten. The train staff even told us that it’s far and we should go to Lindt instead. Little did he know that we will go there as well. House of Läderach is not that much crowdy and we liked it. We explore the museum how the chocolate was made. We had a sensory experience where we got a chance to taste their chocolate while watching a video that explains how to spot fresh chocolates. Upon seeing their molds, process, and their story we were led to four fountains. Yes, they are all chocolate; milk, dark, white, and blonde. We also experienced to be a chocolatier even for a while. I made my own bar with pistachios and pine nuts and completed it with a ribbon. And while in queue at the cashier we were given samples of liqueur chocola...

Duo Deluxe Golden Village - Paya Lebar Laser-projected Movie Hall

ABBEY: Golden Village Paya Lebar boasts its laser projection system and its spacious twin leather seats. So we went ahead and watch Justice League on a weekend.  Only the food and drinks bought in the cinema will be allowed.  I thought the seats are able to recline but its not. The space between the other twins are not that apart. I can still feel the feet or maybe the knee of the person behind me.  When it comes to the projection I don’t find any difference with other cinema. Maybe I’m not just keen into that technology. Duo Deluxe Golden Village - SEAT  Duo Deluxe Golden Village - TICKET PRICE Duo Deluxe Golden Village -  WILL:  We are not that bored to the old seat or lazy boys kind of cinemas, we just want to explore new things to serve our readers. So here, we went to the first laser cinema of Golden Village at Singapore Post (Paya Lebar).  This Duo Deluxe is one of the latest offering of GV! It has leather seat...

Shaw Theatres premiere Review: Is This Premium Cinema Worth It?

ABBEY:  Recently, we finally got to experience the newly renovated Shaw Theatres Lido along Orchard Road just in time for The Devil Wears Prada 2 hitting the silver screen. From the moment we stepped in, it was clear that Shaw has elevated the cinema experience into something far more premium and comfortable for moviegoers in Singapore. One of the first things you will notice is the impressive selection of food and beverage options available. Guests are spoiled for choice with concepts like Centro, Espresso and Matcha Bar , and even a Cocktail Bar, making it feel more like an upscale lounge than a traditional cinema. If you are planning a date night or weekend movie experience, the value is surprisingly decent too. A SGD90 package already includes a pair of Lido Premiere tickets along with two SGD15 F&B credits. The service also stood out during our visit. An usher personally welcomed us and guided us to our leather recliner seats while explaining how the in-seat servi...