Skip to main content

Be Singapore Red Cross Blood Heroes - Donate Blood Now!

ABBEY: I missed the whole 2016 to donate blood. So I'm really excited when Wilma schedule our donation February 2017. Yes, "our" donation. 

She will give some of her blood too. This is my fourth time while hers is first. I always tell her that it will be fine and it will finish fast. I'm proud of her accomplishment to conquer her fear of needles and for us to help the community. This will be our regular contribution. I wanted to give back as my mother was a recipient for blood transfusion after her operation due to breast cancer. 

Read my wife's story below.




WILL: I totally hate needles poking my skin. I do not like to look on blood flowing out of a body. But I know that one of the greatest thing to share is my own blood. 

This is the challenge stated by Abbey in exchange of my Marathon dare. But I pushed it until Feb of 2017 to condition myself and to give a face-to-face battle with my fear.

Broccoli, spinach, chicken and pork liver are on our weekly menu list to boost up our iron in our blood. We slept 8-10 hours every day and make it sure to hit the road or gym twice a week for our exercise. 

We supposedly scheduled to have it by Saturday, but we went one day earlier, 3rd Feb. (Please take note to ladies that you cannot donate blood if you are having your menstruation) We filled-up our form, the concierge key-in our details on Red Cross Singapore database, went to room number 2 to check our BP, weight and if we understood the questioners given on the form. Next room, they will get few samples for me them to see if your hemoglobin passed the count. 

Few minutes later, I am sitting inside the room waiting having an eye contact and exchanging smiles with the other donors. Oh! I have a badge that it will be my first time to donate blood. :) 

The attendant compared my veins from my right and left arm and decided to take on my right. She applied alcohol, open up an anaesthesia, she waited for a minute and viola! I saw how big the hole of the needle that will sip out my blood. Instead of looking away (my usual thing), I stared into the needle and the memory is vividly clear how it went in to my arm and the blood start to run down on the tube. Haha! It is indeed a an achievement for me. Facing one of my greatest fear. Now I am officially a BLOOD HERO! 

Blood represents life and it is not only great but holy to give a part of you... part of your body with someone in need.



***
Singapore Red Cross - Bloodbank@Dhoby Ghaut
(A) Dhoby Xchange (Near Exit B) #B1-05/06/07/08/09 11 Orchard Road
(H)Monday to Wednesday, and Friday: 12pm to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday: 10am to 5pm
Thursday and Public Holidays: Closed
New Year Eve, Chinese New Year Eve and Christmas Day Eve: 9am to 2pm

Can You Donate Blood?
There are some basic requirements you need to fulfill in order to become a blood donor. 
You may become a donor if you:
1. Aged between 16 and 60 (Youths aged 16 and 17 will need to complete and bring a signed parental consent form)
2. Weigh at least 45kg
3. In good health
4. Do not have any symptoms of infection (e.g. sore throat, cough, runny nose, diarrhoea) for at least one week
did not have fever in the last three weeks
5. Have a haemoglobin level of at least 12.5g/dl (A test will be administered by trained nurses at the donation site) Click here for more information about haemoglobin levels.
6. If foreign worker, pass must be valid at least 4-months.
7. You should not donate blood during pregnancy or menstrual period.
8. Traveled outside Singapore? Check how many weeks/months you can be qualified before the day of donation.  

The Donation Process
The whole donation process involves just six simple steps and takes an average of 45 minutes to complete:
1. Form Filling (5 mins)
2. Registration (5 mins)
3. Medical Screening (10-15 mins)
4. Haemoglobin Check (5 mins)
5. Blood Donation (10-15 mins)
6. Rest and Refreshment (15 mins)
Light refreshments will be provided while you rest for 10-15 minutes. This is to ensure that you feel well before leaving the blood collection site.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

🇨🇭Läderach, Lindt or Cailler? Which is the Best Chocolate Museum in Switzerland?

ABBEY: I am a BIG fan of chocolate. And there’s no way we’ll be missing the chocolate factories when we go to Switzerland. Upon landing in Zurich, we dropped our luggages at the hotel and off we go to our first order of “business”: go to House of Läderach at Bilten. The train staff even told us that it’s far and we should go to Lindt instead. Little did he know that we will go there as well. House of Läderach is not that much crowdy and we liked it. We explore the museum how the chocolate was made. We had a sensory experience where we got a chance to taste their chocolate while watching a video that explains how to spot fresh chocolates. Upon seeing their molds, process, and their story we were led to four fountains. Yes, they are all chocolate; milk, dark, white, and blonde. We also experienced to be a chocolatier even for a while. I made my own bar with pistachios and pine nuts and completed it with a ribbon. And while in queue at the cashier we were given samples of liqueur chocola...

Duo Deluxe Golden Village - Paya Lebar Laser-projected Movie Hall

ABBEY: Golden Village Paya Lebar boasts its laser projection system and its spacious twin leather seats. So we went ahead and watch Justice League on a weekend.  Only the food and drinks bought in the cinema will be allowed.  I thought the seats are able to recline but its not. The space between the other twins are not that apart. I can still feel the feet or maybe the knee of the person behind me.  When it comes to the projection I don’t find any difference with other cinema. Maybe I’m not just keen into that technology. Duo Deluxe Golden Village - SEAT  Duo Deluxe Golden Village - TICKET PRICE Duo Deluxe Golden Village -  WILL:  We are not that bored to the old seat or lazy boys kind of cinemas, we just want to explore new things to serve our readers. So here, we went to the first laser cinema of Golden Village at Singapore Post (Paya Lebar).  This Duo Deluxe is one of the latest offering of GV! It has leather seat...

Shaw Theatres premiere Review: Is This Premium Cinema Worth It?

ABBEY:  Recently, we finally got to experience the newly renovated Shaw Theatres Lido along Orchard Road just in time for The Devil Wears Prada 2 hitting the silver screen. From the moment we stepped in, it was clear that Shaw has elevated the cinema experience into something far more premium and comfortable for moviegoers in Singapore. One of the first things you will notice is the impressive selection of food and beverage options available. Guests are spoiled for choice with concepts like Centro, Espresso and Matcha Bar , and even a Cocktail Bar, making it feel more like an upscale lounge than a traditional cinema. If you are planning a date night or weekend movie experience, the value is surprisingly decent too. A SGD90 package already includes a pair of Lido Premiere tickets along with two SGD15 F&B credits. The service also stood out during our visit. An usher personally welcomed us and guided us to our leather recliner seats while explaining how the in-seat servi...