Skip to main content

TEDxNTU (Singapore) 2016: Through the Looking Glass

ABBEY: I registered late for this event due to my schedule getting changed at the 11th hour. And I got a reply that I'm on the waiting list. I was hesitant to come as I know the event will be fully packed and going there and being told that there is no room for more will be disappointing. But still I pushed for it and luckily I got in. TEDx NTU welcomes walk-ins. Yey!

We were there 20 minutes early. From the start until the end, all the talks and ideas are all worth spreading. From reptiles to genes to water. What struck me the most is the talk from Raj Singh. He talked about the life of foreign workers for households and construction. They all endure the hardships, struggles, sacrifices and criticisms just to send money back to their families back home. It gave me more awareness of how they are being treated and how they should be treated.

I hope I can attend more TED events or can be the one who will stand in that red circle.

 TEDxNTU (Singapore) 2016: Through the Looking Glass Team
WILL: Be careful what you wish for...this is the best part of unrelentless praying and murmuring your wants and needs to ALMIGHTY. One prayer was granted..again. To attend a live TED talk. 

Why would I submerge myself in telenovelas (sorry I am not fond of it) when I could pick some brains of experts in their fields? TEDx was held at NTU one Saturday and Abbey's classmate send the invite for us months before. No second thoughts, I registered. 

What's the best part I have learned? From Dr. Chris Cummings, communication can break us apart. Dr. Jørgen Schlundt  verified Abbey and I thinking that people are getting sick because of the chemicals we are putting in our food and feeds given to domesticated livestocks.  Akshobh Giridharadas, "yellow journalism" is all over the web. A catchy/fear spreading title but nothing special inside. Investigative journalism is dying because of this non-sense news that lurks in social media sites. Yamini Bhaskar fear can be unlearned (okay I will work on that) and Raj Singh made my tear flow while seeing seeing his short video about workers here in Singapore. 

An-eye opening experience. Ideas worth to think of. Ideas worth sharing! Thanks NTU for the free TEDx, free lunch and high tea (never get the chance to taste the food or drinks served, don't worry it is okay), free goodie bag! Till next year's TEDx.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

🇨🇭Läderach, Lindt or Cailler? Which is the Best Chocolate Museum in Switzerland?

ABBEY: I am a BIG fan of chocolate. And there’s no way we’ll be missing the chocolate factories when we go to Switzerland. Upon landing in Zurich, we dropped our luggages at the hotel and off we go to our first order of “business”: go to House of Läderach at Bilten. The train staff even told us that it’s far and we should go to Lindt instead. Little did he know that we will go there as well. House of Läderach is not that much crowdy and we liked it. We explore the museum how the chocolate was made. We had a sensory experience where we got a chance to taste their chocolate while watching a video that explains how to spot fresh chocolates. Upon seeing their molds, process, and their story we were led to four fountains. Yes, they are all chocolate; milk, dark, white, and blonde. We also experienced to be a chocolatier even for a while. I made my own bar with pistachios and pine nuts and completed it with a ribbon. And while in queue at the cashier we were given samples of liqueur chocola...

Duo Deluxe Golden Village - Paya Lebar Laser-projected Movie Hall

ABBEY: Golden Village Paya Lebar boasts its laser projection system and its spacious twin leather seats. So we went ahead and watch Justice League on a weekend.  Only the food and drinks bought in the cinema will be allowed.  I thought the seats are able to recline but its not. The space between the other twins are not that apart. I can still feel the feet or maybe the knee of the person behind me.  When it comes to the projection I don’t find any difference with other cinema. Maybe I’m not just keen into that technology. Duo Deluxe Golden Village - SEAT  Duo Deluxe Golden Village - TICKET PRICE Duo Deluxe Golden Village -  WILL:  We are not that bored to the old seat or lazy boys kind of cinemas, we just want to explore new things to serve our readers. So here, we went to the first laser cinema of Golden Village at Singapore Post (Paya Lebar).  This Duo Deluxe is one of the latest offering of GV! It has leather seat...

Shaw Theatres premiere Review: Is This Premium Cinema Worth It?

ABBEY:  Recently, we finally got to experience the newly renovated Shaw Theatres Lido along Orchard Road just in time for The Devil Wears Prada 2 hitting the silver screen. From the moment we stepped in, it was clear that Shaw has elevated the cinema experience into something far more premium and comfortable for moviegoers in Singapore. One of the first things you will notice is the impressive selection of food and beverage options available. Guests are spoiled for choice with concepts like Centro, Espresso and Matcha Bar , and even a Cocktail Bar, making it feel more like an upscale lounge than a traditional cinema. If you are planning a date night or weekend movie experience, the value is surprisingly decent too. A SGD90 package already includes a pair of Lido Premiere tickets along with two SGD15 F&B credits. The service also stood out during our visit. An usher personally welcomed us and guided us to our leather recliner seats while explaining how the in-seat servi...